Monday, April 2, 2012

general.

This General Conference was magnificent! Having watched all four sessions, I noticed a few topics that were discussed often. I found that the major themes of the overall conference included the family, our covenants, forgiveness, and being an example. For this conference I decided I would write the impressions I felt while listening to the talks. {That is what is so great about General Conference. The speakers prepare talks that apply to ALL types of people...ALL over the world...in MANY different situations and yet their messages can help each one of us specifically. And that is what we need to do when watching/listening to/ reading conference talks--make it specifically for us! So we can become better people.} I found that once one thought came to me, many more came flowing in and I felt the Spirit very strongly. I have seen in my life that when I am in the right place, doing the right thing, the Lord will bless me and thoughts will come to my mind that help me with certain situations. For this conference I had a few specific questions that I wanted to find answers to but i had more concerns that I wanted to ponder and find inspiration about. I felt like this conference was especially powerful as the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke with such conviction and haste that you felt a sense of urgency in the need to repent, or say better prayers, or be better family members. I especially enjoyed the choir from the Missionary Training Center (Saturday Afternoon Session), because I recognized a few of my friends and one of my cousins who participated and it was great to see so many happy missionaries who were radiant and enthused about the gospel. You could see in their eyes that they were very excited to be serving a mission for the Lord. Because they seemed regal and so steadfast, it made me want to go on a mission or at least seriously consider it when I am old enough. When Elder Oaks spoke on Saturday morning, I found it interesting that he spoke of missionary work and temples and how those are unique specifically to the LDS Church. I have gained a greater testimony of missionary work and find the programs to be absolutely fascinating as missionary work takes a great sacrifice for everyone involved. Some of the other thoughts or quotes from General Conference that I especially enjoyed included what President Eyring shared on our foundation of faith. He said something to the effect of, “our foundation of faith comes with our personal integrity.” I also liked how Elder Hales spoke of our “spiritual desires” and how we need to follow those in order to take the sacrament with reverence, be worthy of a temple recommend, strive to gain a testimony of all things, and to be self-reliant. Another one of my favorite talks came from Elder Ballard in the Sunday afternoon session. He spoke on the family and, although nothing too dramatic stood out, I was impressed overall by his talk and I found it to be very profound and insightful, comforting and loving. A few other talks from Sunday afternoon were fantastic also as the speakers spoke eloquently and the topics they discussed were insightful and interesting. I loved hearing from the First Presidency and especially President Monson as he was fervent, reverent, funny, and even quirky. He just always makes me happy, as I think he does for a lot of people, but I felt like I should increase my faith and strengthen my testimony so I can testify like him. General Conference weekend always goes by so quickly and it may be hard to soak everything up right away, but that is why we have these next six months before the next one to learn and continue to get better. I absolutely LOVE General Conference and I sincerely hope that anyone who hasn't seen it or heard it will look it up. I have linked many things to the Church website (lds.org). It brings me hope and happiness and strength and I know that it can do the same for anyone who is willing to be changed. I have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and His living prophets and apostles on the earth today!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with all you said. I loved it too and can't wait to read/watch it all again. I felt like so many things were directed at me, and answers to questions I had. Wish we could have stayed the week and watched it with you. XXOO

    ReplyDelete